|Matteo Diez is a Senior Research Scientist at CNR-INM, National Research Council of Italy-Institute of Marine Engineering, where he leads a research group in multidisciplinary analysis and optimization. He achieved his M.Sc. degree in Mechanical Engineering from Rome Tre University in 2003 and his Ph.D. degree in Mechanical and Industrial Engineering from the same University in 2007, with a thesis on multidisciplinary optimization methods for conceptual aircraft design. His research focuses on simulation-based design optimization methodologies, aiming at the affordable use of high-fidelity prime-principle based solvers in ship hydrodynamics and fluid structure interaction for both deterministic and stochastic applications. He has been co-chair and technical team member of several Applied Vehicle Technology activities on deterministic and stochastic optimization for vehicle design within NATO Science and Technology Organization. He has been Adjunct Professor at the University of Venice IUAV, Roma Tre University, and the Italian National Institute of Architecture. He has been Visiting Research Scholar at the University of Iowa under ONR support. He has been principal investigator of ONR-funded NICOP (Naval International Cooperative Opportunities in Science and Technology Program) grants. He is author of more than 100 papers published in peer-reviewed international journals (including Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Structural Multidisciplinary Optimization, Applied Soft Computing, ASME Journal of Verification, Validation and Uncertainty Quantification, Ocean Engineering, and Applied Ocean Research) and international conference proceedings.|
|Simulation-based design optimization in ship hydrodynamics|
Uncertainty quantification and reliability-based robust design optimization
Design space assessment and dimensionality reduction in hydrodynamic shape optimization
Global derivative-free bio-inspired optimization algorithms
Fluid-structure interaction and multidisciplinary design optimization
|Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization (MAO)|
- D’Agostino, D., Serani, A. and Diez, M., 2020. Design-space assessment and dimensionality reduction: An off-line method for shape reparameterization in simulation-based optimization. Ocean Engineering, 197, p.106852.
- Serani, A., D’Agostino, D., Campana, E.F. and Diez, M., 2019. Assessing the Interplay of Shape and Physical Parameters by Unsupervised Nonlinear Dimensionality Reduction Methods. Journal of Ship Research, DOI: https://doi.org/10.5957/JOSR.09180056.
- Serani, A., Pellegrini, R., Wackers, J., Jeanson, C.E., Queutey, P., Visonneau, M. and Diez, M., 2019. Adaptive multi-fidelity sampling for CFD-based optimisation via radial basis function metamodels. International Journal of Computational Fluid Dynamics, Vol. 33, No. 6-7: CFD-enabled Design Optimisation of Industrial Flows: Theory and Practice, pp. 237-255, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/10618562.2019.1683164.
- Castelli, G., Cesta, A., Diez, M., Padula, M., Ravazzani, P., Rinaldi, G., Savazzi, S., Spagnuolo, M., Strambini, L., Tognola, G. and Campana, E.F., 2019, October. Urban Intelligence: a Modular, Fully Integrated, and Evolving Model for Cities Digital Twinning. In 2019 IEEE 16th International Conference on Smart Cities: Improving Quality of Life Using ICT & IoT and AI (HONET-ICT) (pp. 033-037). IEEE.
- Diez, M., Broglia, R., Durante, D., Olivieri, A., Campana, E.F. and Stern, F., “Statistical Assessment and Validation of Experimental and Computational Ship Response in Irregular Waves,” Journal of Verification, Validation and Uncertainty Quantification, Vol. 3, No. 2, 2018, p.021004 .
- Diez M., Campana E.F., Stern F., “Stochastic optimization methods for ship resistance and operational efficiency via CFD,” Structural Multidisciplinary Optimization, Vol. 57, No. 2, 2018, pp 735–758, DOI: 10.1007/s00158-017-1775-4.
- Pellegrini, R., Serani, A., Leotardi, C., Iemma, U., Campana, E.F. and Diez, M., “Formulation and parameter selection of multi-objective deterministic particle swarm for simulation-based optimization”, Applied Soft Computing, Vol. 58, 2017, pp.714-731. DOI: 10.1016/j.asoc.2017.05.013 Harvard style reference 4
- Serani, A., Leotardi, C., Iemma, U., Campana, E.F., Fasano, G. Diez, M., “Parameter selection in synchronous and asynchronous deterministic particle swarm optimization for ship hydrodynamics problems,” Applied Soft Computing, Vol. 49,2016, pp.313-334. DOI: 10.1016/j.asoc.2016.08.028.
- Serani A., Fasano G., Liuzzi G., Lucidi S., Iemma U., Campana E.F., Stern F., Diez M., “Ship hydrodynamic optimization by local hybridization of deterministic derivative-free global algorithms,” Applied Ocean Research, Vol. 59, 2016, pp. 115-128. DOI: 10.1016/j.apor.2016.04.006.
- Diez M., Campana E.F., Stern F., “Design-space dimensionality reduction in shape optimization by Karhunen–Loève expansion,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 283, pp. 1525-1544, 2015. DOI: 10.1016/j.cma.2014.10.042.
- Volpi S., Diez M., Gaul N.J., Song H., Iemma U., Choi K.K., Campana E.F., Stern F., “Development and validation of a dynamic metamodel based on stochastic radial basis functions and uncertainty quantification,” Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Vol. 51, No. 2, 2015, pp. 347-368. DOI: 10.1007/s00158-014-1128-5.
- Chen X., Diez M., Kandasamy M., Campana E.F., Stern F., “High-fidelity global optimization of shape design by dimensionality reduction, metamodels and deterministic particle swarm,” Engineering Optimization, Vol. 47, No. 4, 2015. DOI: 10.1080/0305215X.2014.895340.