Andrea Serani was born in Italy in 1986. He received the B.Sc., M.Sc., and Ph.D. degrees from Roma Tre University, Rome, Italy, in 2009, 2012, and 2016, respectively. In 2013, he joined the National Research Council-Marine Technology Research Institute, Rome, Italy, as a Ph.D. Fellow and in 2019 became a Research Scientist at the National Research Council-Institute of Marine Engineering, where is working within the multidisciplinary analysis and optimization research group. His research focuses on design-space dimensionality reduction, machine learning, and optimization algorithms for simulation-based design problems in computational fluid and structural dynamics. He has been a technical team member of several NATO Science and Technology Organisation, Applied Vehicle Technology, Research Task Groups on deterministic and stochastic design optimization, as well as on the assessment of the prediction capability of computational fluid dynamics for military vehicles operating in real conditions. He is Subject Expert and Teaching Assistant (“Cultore della Materia”) in Aircraft Design at Roma Tre University since 2017. He has been Visiting Ph.D. student in 2015 and Visiting PostDoc in 2018 at the University of Iowa. He has been co-principal investigator of ONR-funded NICOP (Naval International Cooperative Opportunities in Science and Technology Program) grants. He has been co-advisor of more than 10 students among the Ph.D., M.Sc., and B.Sc. programs of Roma Tre University and Sapienza University. He is the author of more than 100 papers in peer-reviewed international journals and international conference proceedings. He is serving as reviewer for more than 40 international journals, for which has revised more than 140 manuscripts. Dr. Serani is a member of “Ordine degli Ingegneri” (National Engineer’s Register) of Rome, Italy, since 2015.
|Simulation-based design optimization|
Application of computational fluid dynamics
| Multidisciplinary analysis and optimization (MAO)|
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD)
- Serani, A., Diez, M., van Walree, F., & Stern, F. (2021). URANS analysis of a free-running destroyer sailing in irregular stern-quartering waves at sea state 7. Ocean Engineering, 237, 109600.
- Serani, A., Stern, F., Campana, E. F., & Diez, M. (2021). Hull-form stochastic optimization via computational-cost reduction methods. Engineering with Computers. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00366-021-01375-x
- Pellegrini, R., Serani, A., Liuzzi, G., Rinaldi, F., Lucidi, S., & Diez, M. (2020). Hybridization of Multi-Objective Deterministic Particle Swarm with Derivative-Free Local Searches. Mathematics, 8(4), 546.
- D’Agostino D., Serani A., & Diez M. (2020). Design-space assessment and dimensionality reduction: An off-line method for shape reparameterization in simulation-based optimization. Ocean Engineering, 197, 106852.
- Serani A., D’Agostino D., Campana E.F., & Diez M. (2020). Assessing the Interplay of Shape and Physical Parameters by Unsupervised Nonlinear Dimensionality Reduction Methods. Journal of Ship Research, 64(4), 313–327.
- Serani A., Pellegrini R., Wackers J., Jeanson C. E., Queutey P., Visonneau M., & Diez M. (2019). Adaptive multi-fidelity sampling for CFD-based optimisation via radial basis function metamodels. International Journal of Computational Fluid Dynamics, 33(6-7), 237-255.
- Pellegrini R., Serani A., Leotardi C., Iemma U., Campana E. F., & Diez M. (2017). Formulation and parameter selection of multi-objective deterministic particle swarm for simulation-based optimization. Applied Soft Computing, 58, 714-731.
- Serani A., Leotardi C., Iemma U., Campana E. F., Fasano G., & Diez M. (2016). Parameter selection in synchronous and asynchronous deterministic particle swarm optimization for ship hydrodynamics problems. Applied Soft Computing, 49, 313-334.
- Serani A., Fasano G., Liuzzi G., Lucidi S., Iemma U., Campana E. F., Stern F., & Diez M. (2016). Ship hydrodynamic optimization by local hybridization of deterministic derivative-free global algorithms. Applied Ocean Research, 59, 115-128.
- Leotardi C., Serani A., Iemma U., Campana E. F., & Diez M. (2016). A variable-accuracy metamodel-based architecture for global MDO under uncertainty. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 54(3), 573-593.